Chicken Sausage and Peppers
Original recipe here.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package First Fresh Foods mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 hot dog rolls (omit to make gluten free, or use gluten free rolls)
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until browned, turning to cook evenly, about 10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan and reserve.
- Add the peppers, onions, salt and pepper to the pan and cook until fragrant and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the oregano and garlic, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the wine, tomato puree, and red pepper flakes, mixing to combine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the sausages back to the mixture and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve, add the sausages each to a roll and top with the pepper and onion mixture. Top with basil and dig in!
- If you’d prefer a gluten free version, cut the sausages into bite-sized pieces and serve over rice!