- Yield: 2 Omelets
Cojita Lime Omelets with Chicken Sausage & Balsamic Tomato Hash
- First Fresh Foods Breakfast Chicken Sausage Links - 6 links, casings removed
- Fresh Eggs - 4
- Cojita cheese - 3/4 C
- Lime zest - 1-2 Tbs
- Smoked paprika - 1 tsp
- Cherry tomatoes - 1 C, halved
- Aged balsamic vinegar - 1/4 C
- Olive oil - 1/2 C
- Garlic - 1 Tbs
- Queso cheese - 1 (8 oz.) brick
- Stone ground grits - 1 C, gluten-free
- Chicken stock - 4 C
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro - 1 bunch, roughly chopped
- Prepare grits according to package directions substituting chicken stock for water. Stir in 1/2 pf the Cilantro, Paprika & Queso and keep warm.
- Place halved tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro. Roast in a 425 degree oven until the tops of the tomatoes are charred and the balsamic has slightly thickened. Scrape into a dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown chicken sausage, remaining Cilantro (less 1 tbsp), garlic and wild mushrooms until cooked throughout and crumbly. Stir in balsamic tomatoes.
- Crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk well. Make sure to whisk until a good amount of air is incorporated and bubbles form on the surface of the eggs. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat one tsp. olive oil in a small (10″) skillet or omelet pan. Swirl oil to coat pan. Pour eggs into the hot skillet. Shake pan over heat and stir eggs with fork until they begin to thicken. Let stand for a minute or two to allow bottom to lightly brown. Lift the edge of the omelet with a fork and allow any uncooked egg to run underneath. Allow to heat for a few additional seconds, then fold omelet in half. Run fork under omelet to loosen, and slide onto plate.
- While omelet is hot, sprinkle with cheese, extra Cilantro, sausage tomato hash, and lime zest. Serve with Cilantro Queso grits and sprinkle with Cojita.
Original recipe from The Front Porch Gourmet.