- Yield: 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Firehouse Chicken Sausage Chili
Loaded with tasty chicken sausage, vegetables and spices, this firehouse chili recipe is easy-to-make and delicious, it's a great way to cure your rainy-day blues! Like it hot? Add a couple tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno peppers for an extra kick!
- Vegetable oil - 1 TBS
- First Fresh Foods mild Italian style Chicken Sausage Links - 2 (14 oz.) pkgs. chopped
- Yellow onion - 1 1/2 C, diced
- Green bell pepper - 1 1/2 C, diced
- Garlic - 1 tsp, minced
- Canned whole tomatoes - 3 (28 oz.) cans with juice, crushed
- Kidney beans - 3 (15 oz.) cans, drained
- Chili powder - 3 TBS
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Mild green chile peppers - 1 (4 oz.) can
- Optional: Jalapeno pepper - 2 tsp, finely chopped
- In a large heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic cook until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot, with your choice of toppings: grated cheddar cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, corn chips and/or saltine crackers.